HEIRLOOM BONNET AND POEM
What You Need:
10-10½” square of handkerchief linen or heirloom type fabric or a purchased hanky.
1¼ yds. 1″ wide flat lace.
1 yd. ¼” satin ribbon
1 Wing needle
Basting thread, rotary cutter, mat and ruler.
1. With rotary cutter, square up linen. Thread machine with fine
3. Place lace along outside edges ¼” from edge.
4. Insert wing needle and touch the entredeux stitch. Stitch lace in place along edge with entredeux stitch. Trim away fabric from behind lace to stitching.
5. With wing needle and lightweight thread, use a decorative stitch to sew the edge of the hanky 5/8″ from hem.
6. To form bonnet, turn back 2½ ” along one edge and press.
7. Attach ribbon 1″ in front of this fold at center and 1″ in from both edges.
9. On opposite side, turn back 1″, press and sew basting stitch 5/8″ from fold. Gather up and secure to form back of bonnet.
The entredeux stitch is a stitch that makes holes in the fabric so you can have the heirloom look. You would recognize it if you have ever seen a blouse or dress with a trim that is box shaped and open.
The wing needle goes through the fabric and creates holes in the fabric so you can add tatted or crocheted trim to the edge of something. Or as the instructions say, you can use it with a decorative stitch to make the hem. It is all for an heirloom kind of look.
Search out on the web for Entredeux and the list goes on forever. Here are few of the many.
TREASURE HANDKERCHIEF BONNET POEM
(to put with bonnet)
I’m just a little hankie
As square as can be
But with a small stitch or two
A bonnet I will be.
I’ll be worn from the hospital
Or on my christening day
And after that be folded
Then carefully put away.
When on that future wedding day
So we’ve always been told
The well dressed bride must always
Wear something that is old.
So what could be more fitting
Then to find little me
And with a few fine stitches snipped
A wedding hankie be.
And if perchance it’s a boy
Someday he’ll surely wed
Then his bride can have the hankie
Once worn upon his head.
Above information found at:
Other instructions with diagrams for assembly can be found at:
Site describing what you want is found at:
click on picture for close-up of poem, etc.
Wonderful handkerchief baby bonnet poems: