We just had what seemed like a successful activity. We played scripture basketball. We divided the mutual up into 4 teams. Two groups facing each other at both baskets. Everyone needed to bring their scriptures (Those who didn’t borrowed them from the library)We
then asked questions regarding things or stories in the scriptures. They then had to find where it was and help their other team members find it. Once everyone on the team had their scriptures open to the correct page for the answer and it was verified by a youth
leader, then they could start shooting the basketball to make a basket. Boys shot outside the key and girls inside the key. First team to get the scripture with everyone having it in their own scriptures got 1 point. First team to make the basket after that got 2 points. One group might get the scripture or question figured out but couldn’t make the basket first. SO other team could still all get it and start shooting. Once a basket is made. They all switch seats and move it on down. So everyone has a chance to shoot. So potentially both teams had chance at points every time. We played for awhile then switched the teams.
The winners played the other winner team and the losers played each other. There were a few “cheaters” but we also talked about having integrity and knowing that those that didn’t cheat played an honest game. Even had some of our less thrilled ( gotta hog tie them to keep them in the building and let alone participate ) kids be involved. Then we served goodies that about 4 YW brought. Leaders said if the girls forgot to bring the goodies there would be no refreshments. Very successful. Although gotta watch the scripture pages when kids get excited, could tear or bend.
Scripture Basketball Rules
1. Divide Youth into 2 teams, each facing the other in chairs set on the keylines.
2. The teams are given a clue to a scripture and told to begin.
3. As soon as a referee verifies that each youth on a team has their scriptures turned to the correct page, the person at the end of the row closest to the basket may start shooting.
4. The team whose player makes the first basket receives 2 points. The first team to have everyone on their team open to that same page for the correct answer gets 1 point.
5. All the players move down one chair and the shooter takes the farthest chair from the basket.
6. If there are more than 2 teams involved, the winning teams of the first round after 10 or so questions play each other.
*Note: Team members may help each other find the correct scriptures. Be sure and use the Topical Guide, Bible Dictionary and indexes.
1. Where is the First place the B’Attitudes are found in the New Testament? They are part of the Sermon on the Mount. Answer: Matthew 5:3
2. Where are the Sacrament Prayers found in the Book of Mormon? They are found in the last book in the Book of Mormon. Answer:Moroni 4:5
3. Where does the Prophet Joseph Smith tell of his First Vision and hear the words ” This is my beloved son, hear him”? You’ll find this at the end of the Pearl of Great Price. Answer JSH 1:17
4. Where are the 10 commandments first found in the Bible? They are found in one of the first books of the Old Testament or the Pentateuch.
Answer Exodus 20:3-17
5. Where does Ruth say :”Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: For whither thou goest, I will go…” Take a look at the Bible table of contents for her book.
Answer Ruth 1:16
6. “If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him” The scripture found in the New Testament that Joseph Smith read before going to the sacred grove to pray. Answer: James 1:5
7.Where do you find the 13th Article of Faith? It is found in your triple combination scriptures.
Answer Page 61
8. Where is the definition and reference for a Rameumptom. Check the Book of Mormon index..
Answer pg. 288
9. Where does Moses tell us that all things were created spiritually before they were naturally upon the earth? This scripture is found in the Pearl of Great Price.
Answer: Moses 3:5
10. Where does David acclaim: “The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.”? It is about half way through the old testament. Answer Psalms 23:1
11. Where do we find the scriptures referred to as “Lord’s Prayer” in the Book of Mormon? It is found during Christ’s visit to the Americas.
Answer: 3 Nephi 13:9-13
12. Where does the Brother of Jared see the Lord’s finger? The Jaredites are found in Ether in the Book of Mormon. Answer Ether 3:6
13. Where is the Word of Wisdom found in the D&C
Answer: D&C 89
14. Where does Mosiah tell us that “when we are in the service of our fellow beings we are only in the service of our God”? Answer: Mosiah 2:17
15. Where do we find the first of the ten plagues that the Lord brought upon Egypt through the Prophet Moses? You may want to refer to your topical guide for the
word “plague”, but make sure it’s the right one..
16.What is the very last book in the Old Testament.
17. Where do we find the vision that Lehi had about the “tree of life and the iron rod”? It is in the very first book of the Book of Mormon.
Answer: 1 Nephi 8
18. In which section of the D&C manifest the will of the Lord to Emma Smith? She is commanded to “make a selection of Sacred Hymns” Answer: D&C 25
19. Find the definition of the word “babylon” in the bible dictionary. Answer: pg. 618
20. Where is Abraham saved by an angel from Elkenah, the priest of the Pharoah, who was going to sacrifice him on an altar? Check out the Pearl of Great Price.
21. Where are the sacrament prayers found in the D&C? Take a look in the index under bread. Answer D&C 20:77-79
22. Where in Isaiah can you find the famous quote “For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: And the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called wonderful, counselor, the Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace”?
Check out the topical guide under Prince.
Answer Isaiah 9:6
23. Take a look at the names of the Books in the Old Testament and turn to the first book that starts with an “H” Answer: Hosea
24. Where do you find Declaration #2. A revelation received by President Spencer W. Kimball concerning the priesthood given to all worthy male members of the
Church? Hint: It’s in the D&C
Answer page 293
25. Where do you find the story where Ammon saves the king’s flock and “every man that lifted his club to smite Ammon, he smote off their arms with his sword;…Insomuch that they began to be astonished and began to flee before him.” Try the index under Ammon.
Answer: Alma 17:37